Terms of Service
Welcome to the Canadian National Office of the American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada ("CFM”) Website. Please carefully review our Terms of Service before you begin using the site. Thank you.
A. Your Acceptance
Although we may attempt to notify you when major changes are made to these Terms of Service, you should periodically review the most up-to-date version. CFM may, in its sole discretion, modify these Terms of Service at any time. By continuing to use this website following our posting of such changes, you agree to be bound by these Terms of Service, as modified.
Through our sites, CFM provides users with access to a rich array of educational resources, including personalized content. We hope you find our sites useful. We reserve the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Website or any related sites, or any part of them, at any time, for any reason without prior notice to you. You agree that we shall not be liable for any such modification, suspension, or discontinuance.
Your registration information, as well as other personally identifiable information that you provide us about yourself on our sites, is subject to our Privacy Statement. Click here to read our Privacy Statement.
B. General Use of the Website -- Permissions and Restrictions
CFM hereby grants you permission to access and use the Website as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:
1. You do not collect any personally identifiable information of others, including user names or email addresses, from the Website.
2. You do not use the Website for any commercial purposes without the prior written authorization of CFM. You agree not to transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited advertising, promotional information, bulk e-mail or other solicitation. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Website with respect to their User Comments.
3. You do not use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses the Website in a manner that sends more request messages to the CFM servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional online web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, CFM grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. CFM reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases.
4. You do not transmit or otherwise make available any content containing any "virus," "worm," "trojan horse," or any other computer code, file, or program designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
5. You do not alter or modify any part of the Website.
6. You do not circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Website or our sites or servers (or networks connected to our Website).
7. You do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or cause distress, unwanted attention, or discomfort to a person or entity on or through the Website or its communication systems.
8. You do not transmit or otherwise make available on or through the Website any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable, as solely determined by CFM.
9. CFM reserves the right to change or discontinue any aspect of the Website at any time, for any reason, and without notice to you.
10. CFM reserves the right to suspend or terminate a user's access to the Website, without prior notice and at CFM’s sole discretion.
11. This list of permissions and restrictions, along with the other terms discussed below, is not intended to be complete, but merely illustrative. We reserve the right in our sole and final judgment to determine whether your conduct violates conduct requirements for the Website.
C. AFM Registered User Accounts
In order to access some features of the Website, such as, for example, interactive blogs, you have to become a Registered User, which will also create a user account. As a Registered User, you agree to be bound by the following terms:
1. When creating or modifying your account, you must provide accurate, current, and complete information. We reserve the right to disallow use of any user name that we deem offensive or inappropriate. You will be responsible for preserving the confidentiality of your password and for all actions of persons accessing the Website through any username/password assigned to you. You must notify AFM immediately of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account. You may never use another’s account without permission.
2. As a Registered User you may submit comments on various AFM blogs or other material (collectively, “User Content”) to the Website. AFM reserves the right, but does not assume the obligation, to delete, move, condense, or edit such User Content for any reason and without prior notice. AFM also reserves the right to suspend or terminate a Registered User's access for posting User Content.
3. You are solely responsible for your own User Content and the consequences of posting or publishing it. You affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: you own, or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize AFM to use, all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to all User Content you submit to enable inclusion and use of such User Content in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service.
4. You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Content. However, by submitting User Content to AFM and CFM, you hereby grant AFM and CFM a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable, perpetual, and transferable license to use, reproduce, store, distribute, prepare derivative works of and display your User Content (and your user name) in any medium in connection with the activities and operations of AFM and CFM, its affiliated entities and successors. You also hereby grant each user of the CFM Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Content through the Website, and to use, reproduce, and distribute such User Content for such user's personal, non-commercial purposes. You understand and agree that AFM and CFM may retain, reproduce, distribute and otherwise use for any purpose copies of User Content that has been removed from the Website. The above licenses granted by you are perpetual and irrevocable.
5. AFM nor CFM does not endorse, authorize or ratify any User Content, or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and AFM and CFM expressly disclaim all liability in connection with User Content. AFM and CFM does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on its Website, and AFM and CFM reserve the right, but does not assume the obligation, to remove any content from the Website if notified that such content infringes on another's intellectual property rights.
D. Your Use of Content on the Site
In addition to the restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of content on the CFM Website.
1. The content on the Website (other than your User Content), including without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features and the like (collectively, “AFM Content”) is owned by or licensed by AFM. Similarly, the trademarks, service marks and logos contained on the Website are owned or licensed by AFM ("AFM Marks”). Except as otherwise provided in these Terms of Service, the AFM Content and the AFM Marks may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any purpose whatsoever without the prior written consent of AFM. AFM reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the AFM Content and the AFM Marks.
2. The Website is made available for your personal, non-commercial use only. As part of such use, you may display, download and/or print pages from the site; you may link to the Website; and you may forward Website materials to others for personal, non-commercial uses that are reasonably related to the Website’s purposes.
3. You understand that when using the CFM Website, you will be exposed to CFM Content, User Content, and other third-party content from a variety of sources, and that CFM makes no warranty about the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such CFM Content, User Content, or other third-party content. You further understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to User Content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against CFM with respect there to.
E. Warranty Disclaimer
THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS." YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE CFM WEBSITE SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AFM, CFM, AS WELL AS ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “AFM PARTIES”), DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF. THE AFM PARTIES CANNOT AND DO NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, CURRENTNESS, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OF THE SITE'S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS SITE. NOR DO THE AFM PARTIES GUARANTEE THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE ERROR FREE, OR CONTINUOUSLY AVAILABLE, OR THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. THE AFM PARTIES DO NOT WARRANT, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE PROVIDED, ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE AFM WEBSITE OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING.
F. Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AFM PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE FORESEEABLE, RELATING TO THIS WEBSITE, INCLUDING ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR WEBSITE, (III) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE, (V) BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (VI) ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE AFM WEBSITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT AFM OR CFM IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE AFM PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER CONTENT OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU. CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. TO THE EXTENT THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OF THE PROVISIONS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT MAY NOT APPLY. YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE AFM PARTIES AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, OF WHATEVER NATURE, THAT ARISE OUT OF YOUR USE OF AND ACCESS TO THE AFM WEBSITE OR YOUR VIOLATION OF ANY OF THESE TERMS OF SERVICE. THIS INDEMNIFICATION OBLIGATION WILL SURVIVE THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AND YOUR USE OF THE AFM WEBSITE.
G. Ability to Accept Terms of Service
You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms of Service, and to abide by and comply with these Terms of Service. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the CFM Website is not intended for children under 13.
You, AFM, and CFM agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to the CFM Website must commence within one (1) year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.